Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Love and Other Unknown Variables- Shannon Lee Alexander

Love and Other Unknown Variables
by
Shannon Lee Alexander

Stand Alone.
Page Count: 350

My Rating: ★★★★★
Current Average Rating on Goodreads: 4.29

Recommended for: People looking for a sweet geeky romance<3
Fans of: The Fault in Our Stars maybe? (This was waaaay better.
Fans of TFioS: NO WAY I MUST SEE FOR MYSELF.
Cass: *smirks* Mission accomplished.)

Genres: Contemporary, Romance, YA
Publication Date: October 7th, 2014

Synopsis:
Charlie Hanson has a clear vision of his future. A senior at Brighton School of Mathematics and Science, he knows he’ll graduate, go to MIT, and inevitably discover solutions to the universe’s greatest unanswered questions. He’s that smart. But Charlie’s future blurs the moment he reaches out to touch the tattoo on a beautiful girl’s neck. 


The future has never seemed very kind to Charlotte Finch, so she’s counting on the present. She’s not impressed by the strange boy at the donut shop—until she learns he’s a student at Brighton where her sister has just taken a job as the English teacher. With her encouragement, Charlie orchestrates the most effective prank campaign in Brighton history. But, in doing so, he puts his own future in jeopardy. 

By the time he learns she's ill—and that the pranks were a way to distract Ms. Finch from Charlotte’s illness—Charlotte’s gravitational pull is too great to overcome. Soon he must choose between the familiar formulas he’s always relied on or the girl he’s falling for (at far more than 32 feet per second squared)


Beginnings are tricky things. I've been staring at this blank page for forty-seven minutes. It is infinite with possibilities. Once I begin, they diminish. 
- Charlie, Love and Other Unknown Variables, pg. 1

This has gradually become one of my favourite books. Sure maybe the writing isn't THE best (still great though), and there were flaws, but honestly, those aren't the most important factors. (Although it doees make up most the book...) 

What I loved about this book was how the characters seemed to human. If we looked in at the little details,  Shannon did a great job in blowing life into them :D  It was beautiful. Erm...example: The inscriptions and notes in the Mockingbird book; Charlotte's artwork; the Velveteen Rabbit gift; those Harry Potter references in the beginning (*cough* I'm not bias at all); ... aand y'all have no idea what i'm talking about so i'll stop... go read it then, duh 

The point of views from the both sisters were also very believable.
Jo: The elder sister who wanted to protect the younger, and
Charlotte: The teenager who wants freedom. 
I'm pretty sure writers like these make great parents since they can think in the teenager's point of view xD Or do they... *dun dun dun* 

Delving more into the characters, I thought they were brilliant. But the prize for Cassie's Favourite will have to go to....*drums roll*

Becca Hanson! *crowd cheers*

She was Charlie's sister, and while she didn't exactly come out as much as I would have liked, I connected with her the most. 

Runner up: Mrs. Dunwitty!

A bit of an unlikely choice? Maybe. But she grew on me<3 Also she was hilarious in her own grouchy way. It's inevitable what happened in the end, and *sniff sniff*...*sniff*

I always like the supporting charries more than the main ones for some reason... anyways.

I loved Charlie and Charlotte though. Charlie was a bit odd to read with in the beginning, but I got used to it ^.^ (Omg I actually know a person like him in real life.. If you listen to their "normal" conversations 0.o *mind blown* So smart) Albeit sometimes I have to admit I just wanted to hit Charlie on the head with those hammers you whack the groundhog game thing with... >:D

(LET'S WHACK A GROUNDHOG) 

The book inspired me that inscribed books make the best presents haha xD I didn't know how impacting those could be if done right. 
Pluus i'm going to resume How to Kill a Mockingbird shortly even though this practically spoilt everything. (I've been stuck 100 pages through the past month so doesn't really matter. Coincidence I was already reading it?)

Gosh I cried so much in this book it's not even funny! I didn't expect this when I first picked it up ;O My poor unsuspecting emotions. And with that note, i'm just going to mysteriously stop talking *evil laugh* Hopefully it caught your attention..(sort of? No? YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SAY NO!)

There are loads of more simple factors I adored and want to mention (layout, ending, lifelines xD), but I always love the book more when I don't know much about it :P (That's why I always skim over synopsises and decide more on what genre the book is in when I first pick things.. is that a bad thing? heh)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is going to be a bestseller, and i'll be really disappointed if it isn't.

(I already made my good friend Tia ((Little Miss Totem)) pick it up.. and She. Is. LOVING IT. Aw yeah. I'm just awesome like that. Just saying.)

Thank you Ms Alexander for an awesome debut, and thank you Entangled Publishing for a free review copy!! I couldn't be happier. (This is like one of the first ARCs I received that I actually reallyy liked. Omg.)

Producers better get more film ready... I already want a movie adaption. ;)

Conclusion: Read it now. Don't hesitate. 


—MissOddball™ Over and Out. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment